I am a Reference Librarian whose subject areas include: Counseling & Special Education, Educational Leadership, Human Development & Family Studies, and Teacher Education & Professional Development. I am also the Non-Print Media Selector (i.e., I buy movies for the Librairies' collections). Among many other duties, I coordinate the LIB 197 course.
I have been at CMU since 2005. Prior to coming here, I was a Library Assistant at Michigan State University for several years. I earned two BA degrees at Michigan State, and I received my MLIS from Wayne State University. I also hold an MA in English Language and Literature from CMU.
Here are recent highlights of my professional service:
- President of the Michigan Academic Library Association (MiALA) and Chair of MiALA's Association of College & Research Libraries Chapter (2016-17)
- Chair of the inaugural MiALA Annual Conference (2015-16)
- Chair of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning Advisory Council (2015-16)
- Member of the LOEX Advisory Board (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair of the LOEX Conference (2012-2014)
Here is a partial list of my publications:
- Mathson, S. M. (2011, Aug.). Engaging readers, engaging texts: An exploration of how librarians can use reader response theory to better serve our patrons. Library Philosophy & Practice. Retrieved October 21, 2014, from http://unllib.unl.edu/LPP/mathson.htm
- Mathson, S. M. & Salisbury, J. (2011). Utilizing student employees as an alternative means of providing library instruction. Blazing Trails: On the Path to Information Literacy: Thirty-Seventh National LOEX Library Instruction Conference. Ypsilanti, MI: LOEX Press.
- Mathson, S. M. & Lorenzen, M. G. (2008). We won't be fooled again: Teaching critical thinking via evaluation of hoax and historical revisionist websites in a library credit course. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 15(1/2), 211-230. [Reprinted in Critical Thinking within the Library Program, eds. John Spencer & Christopher Millson-Martula. New York, NY: Routledge, 2009.]
- Mathson, S. M. & Hancks, J. W. (2007). Privacy, please?: A comparison between self-checkout and book checkout desk circulation rates for LGBT and other books. Journal of Access Services, 4(3/4), 27-37. 10.1300/J204v04n03_02