Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Contact the CMU Libraries
Welcome to the library guide for BCA350WI: Women in Film. This guide is full of helpful links, tips, and resources that will help you complete the assignments in your class. To get started, check out the 'Search Tips' box below, and look through each tab of the guide.
Below are some tips and tricks for searching in the libraries' databases and Smart Search. Each database has unique features, but these will work in most places.
- Enclose multi-word terms, titles, or phrases in quotation marks. This lets the database know you want those words to appear in that exact order.
- "horror film"
- "Black Widow"
- "Pride and Prejudice"
- For a general search of women in a certain film genre, try a search such as: women AND "horror films"
- To focus your search, add additional keywords related to your topic, such as:
- Character Names
- Actress/Director/Producer Names
- Themes: feminism, female superheros, regency films, gender roles, etc.
- Use the filters on the left side of the screen to focus your results list. Under 'Material Type', for example, you can narrow your search results to just articles, books, or newspaper articles. Under 'Date', change your results to only things published in a specific date range.
Arts, Media, and Design Librarian